[governance] The New Class: Civil Society Professionals?

wcurrie at apc.org wcurrie at apc.org
Fri May 23 17:05:14 EDT 2008

It seems a commonplace that people on the MAG nominated by the internet technical community will have its interests at heart. The problem is in the point Milton makes that some seem to be carrying a mandate to foreclose policy dialogue on topics they find uncomfortable to their principals. This is damaging to the IGF as a space for open policy dialogue and to the spirit of multi-stakeholder participation..

Similarly the crude, broad brush stroke attacks on civil society participation in IG that Veni makes are unfortunate because they also reflect badly on the organisations like ICANN and ISOC that Veni purports to speak for. I personally find Veni's remarks deeply offensive as he no doubt intends them to be. And when they are backed up by some members of this caucus who carry a flag for ICANN, then the remarks begin to be part of ICANN's negative PR machine - like political candidates putting out negative attack ads in US election campaigns..

If I were in charge of ICANN or ISOC's public relations department, I would have a serious concern about these two issues: that representatives of the internet technical community on the MAG are perceived to be gatekeepers in their own interest to the detriment of the IGF mandate on open policy dialogue  and that someone like Veni is operating a 'swift boat' campaign apparently with the support of senior individuals in the internet technical community.

Willie

     governance at lists.cpsr.org