[governance] Nomcom and conflict of interest

Raul Echeberria raul at lacnic.net
Fri May 23 13:08:06 EDT 2008

Milton et al.

Your email seems to me very frank and very important.
Several people have proposed a more formal MAG
nomination system based in the existence of 3 clear groups of stakeholders.
The discussion about the existence of 3, 4 or 5
stakeholders groups is, in my opinion, not very
important while we ensure that the IGF
Secretariat take care of the multiples
necessaries balances in their recommendations and
the UN Secretary General take care of the same
things at the time of taking decisions about the
MAG composition.  It doesn't matter if the
academic community is a stakeholder or not if we
are confident that there will be people from this
community in the MAG, same happen with many other
organizations and inteests' groups.

Your email goes directly to the key point. You
are deffending the idea that it is impossible to
set up formal nomination process due to the fact
that some part of the community would not be
represented under the strict division in 3 stakeholders group.

It is a very valuable input for the discussion.

It is clear that the definition of a limited and
strict number of stakeholders groups is not
compatible with the estabishment of formal nomination processes.

Other important things is that you remark the
fact that this caucus nominates people to
represents striclty the caucus itself, what is
another very frank statement that avoid any
intention of representing a broader community than the own caucus.

It is another key issue, because it is important
to understand that there are multiple nomination
channels, even for the same stakeholder group,
and nominations like the  IGC recommendations is just one of them.

It is an important step for having a common
understanding of the way in which the integration of the MAG should be decided.

Raúl

     governance at lists.cpsr.org