[governance] The New Class: Civil Society Professionals?

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu
Fri May 23 04:42:09 EDT 2008

Robert Guerra ha scritto:
> Forwarding as it might be of interest to the list...

I think I share most points of Veni's post, except perhaps that in the
first world the advantage for "professionals" might not be in terms of
"lavish lifestyle", but rather of non-monetary rewards such as
intellectual prestige, speaking opportunities, visibility on specialized
media, better career chances and so on.

In principle, there is a healthy relationship in which a skilled
individual devotes valuable time to voluntary positions, and in exchange
he/she gets non-monetary rewards of that kind.

The relationship starts to become less healthy when the individual puts
glue between his/her bottom and the chair, and cannot be removed from
those positions unless twenty big sailors from the port of Singapore
grab him/her and throw him/her off the window (in some cases, this
implies throwing away the chairs as well).

Thus, the apparent reluctance to any significant and formalized rotation
mechanism in the membership of the IGF AG makes me think that (for a few
of its members) we should schedule one of the remaining IGF meetings in
the port of Singapore.

Regards,
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------