[governance] The New Class: Civil Society Professionals?

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu
Fri May 23 04:25:25 EDT 2008

Milton L Mueller ha scritto:
> This is just common sense. People who work for organizations that make
> governance decisions (e.g., an RIR or ICANN or ITU) cannot be considered
> impartial judges of the criticisms, assessments or policies that should
> be applied to their own organization.
>
> I just sat on a program committee for an academic organization, to which
> I submitted a paper. Of course I recused myself from evaluating my own
> proposal, and the proposal of any of my students.
>
> Same principle.

Milton, if you really believe in this, then you should conclude that no
person working for or holding positions in a RIR, ICANN, ITU etc. should
be allowed to participate in the IGF...

The IGF AG is just an organizing committee, it is not tasked with
"judging the criticisms, assessments or policies" to be applied to IG
organizations. I too was disappointed by seeing that the first IGF AG
was stuffed with a bit too many people strongly connected to ICANN, but
that doesn't mean that the right solution is to rule them out entirely.

In any case, when I first read that part of our Nomcom report, I thought
they were meaning "people who are employees of IG-related NGOs", not
"people who are employees of RIRs"... I guess that everyone tends to see
the potential conflicts in other people and to miss the potential
conflicts in their own eyes.

But if the point is that your employer might be making money out of the
IG world and so might exploit your position in the IGF AG, then no
employee of any organization having whatsoever connection to IG should
be allowed: I don't see how a University or an NGO getting grants to
study IG is different from a RIR getting money to assign IP address blocks.
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------
-------->  finally with a new website at http://bertola.eu/  <--------
     governance at lists.cpsr.org