[governance] how to un-digg?

Nyangkwe Agien Aaron nyangkweagien at gmail.com
Thu May 22 10:56:59 EDT 2008

Hi all

Avri wrote: "It makes sense to put out information, but I am not sure
that it makes sense to give it to an intermediary from the press you
don't already know have reason to trust.  fortunately we need the
press less and less for actually putting out information.  this is
perhaps why one see  commercial journalists turning into commentators
everywhere one looks".

That sounds so compelling. My appeal is that the Journalists, Editors
or Journalism Teachers following this debate give a large ear to this
or we Journalists find oursleves out of jobs so sooner or later.
Avri's bitter and sincere remarks gives reason to the upsurge of what
is commonly referred to, now, as community Journalism on the net.
Here, people care less about communication principles and practise or
say, techiques of news gathering and writing.

On the other I think that you do not need hol out your fists against
"the press (that) is not in the business of informing, but of
convincing". No, Avri, when clear facts are given, one is convinced.
It is no disnomer. Remember the talk on appeasement currently rocking
the foreign policy debate of the US presidential election. The
Republican's are casting the Democrat Barack Obama for the dogs for
stating that he will talk to Presidents that are not friendly to the
US and bring them in through a diplomacy that has been tested before.
Then you had the Press that brought convincing evidences with photos
of Kennedy and Kroutschev, or Roosevelt and Stalin etc.
No, Avri, you would want to see some one playing the watch dog some
where or we have a situation where I will jump up say some thing nasty
and false thing about you and ride home safely, Would you?

Cheers and let credible Journalism abound.

Aaron

On 5/22/08, linda misek-falkoff <ldmisekfalkoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> My take and interp - on the e-fly, subject to emendation - here at ACM /
> Yale Computer Freedom & Privacy Conference 08 you current query is right on
> point. A lot on social networking and associated possible rights including a
> suggested 'Right to Delete;.  The  myriad issues of non- contextuality also
> hot (ref, Jon Pinkus and colleagues).
>
> Can we discuss here, is it ok for governance domain, Internet etc. rights
> and duties approaches, and what is a matter of choice, taste, or for
> regulation - glad to see your post here, there's some interest in the actual
> (USA)  cases I have brought on cyberlibel, and the most fun thing - Robert
> Guerra's here too!
>
> Looking forward to your discussions, LDMF,
>
> P.S. gmail flickering, hope no typos remain.
>

> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 9:10 AM, Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> wrote:
> > Does anyone know how to "un-digg" something.
> >
> > Say someone writes an article for a major newspaper about a report you
> wrote and the article got a number of key facts wrong.  But people are
> digg'ing the article and therefore linking and perpetuating the
> misinformation.
> >
> > Not suggesting any type of censorship, more a right of
> response/correction.
> >
> > Someone raised a related kind of issue during the Rio IGF -- how do we
> teach the Internet how to forget (or do we need the Internet to learn how to
> forget?)
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Adam

> >    http://lists.cpsr.org/lists/info/governance
> >

> --
> Dr. Linda D. Misek-Falkoff
> *Respectful Interfaces* Programme.
> Individual e-post.
> For I.D. only: Communications Coordination Committee for the United Nations
> (CCC/UN) [ Civsci NGO].
> International Disability Caucus & Coordination of Singular Organizations on
> Disabilities; Persons With Pain International, National Disability Party ,
> United Nations education, values, and technical committees; Internet
> Governance Forum.
> .
> Analyst, author, inventor in computing fields ARPANet forward.
> 2007 CONGO Nominee List for Strategy Council - Global Alliance For ICT
> Deveopment (looking to next time).  Other Affiliations on Request.

Aaron Agien Nyangkwe
Journalist/Outcome Mapper
Special Assistant To The President
Coach of ASAFE Camaroes Street Football Team.
ASAFE
P.O.Box 5213
Douala-Cameroon
Tel. 237 3337 50 22