[governance] Up date on the Documents for the CSTD session

CONGO - Philippe Dam wsis at ngocongo.org
Wed May 21 13:42:41 EDT 2008

Dear all,

This is a reminder on the documentation available for the up coming 11th
session of the UN Commission on Science and Technology for Development in
relation to WSIS. The work of the CSTD will actually be based on 4 pieces of
documentation:

-          1. The UN Secretary General Report on the Progress
<http://www.unctad.org/en/docs/a63d72_en.pdf>  made in the implementation of
and follow-up to the outcomes of WSIS, which is actually a compilation of
inputs received from the UN Regional Commissions, the WSIS action lien
facilitators, GAID, UNGIS and other stakeholders, as well as some paragraphs
on Internet Governance and Enhance Cooperation, Financing Mechanisms and
Measuring ICT4D; It will be open for discussion on Monday 26 May afternoon
(discussion with Regional Commissions), on Tuesday 27 afternoon (general
debate on WSIS follow-up and implementation) and Thursday 29 afternoon
(dialogue with Action Line Facilitators).

-          2. The UN Secretary General Report on the Development-oriented
<http://www.unctad.org/en/docs/ecn162008d3_en.pdf>  policies for a
socio-economic inclusive information society, including access,
infrastructure and enabling environment, which is one of the two priority
themes that will be discussed by the CSTD during its 11th session (the
second priority theme being related to the initial mandate of the
Commission). This report will mainly be discussed and debated on Wednesday
28 May afternoon.

-          3. The Report
<http://www.unctad.org/Templates/Download.asp?docid=9721&lang=1&intItemID=19
42>  of the Inter-sessional Panel which took place in Kuala-Lumpur on 28-30
May 2008. The main themes as well as the general WSIS implementation and
follow-up framework were addressed during this panel. Written comments sent
by CS entities are also summarised in this report (CONGO and the CS WG on
Financial mechanisms had sent written inputs to the CSTD panel).It will also
feed in the discussion on Wednesday 28 May afternoon.

-          4. Finally, there will be a WSIS follow-up 2008 Report, which
will actually be a note of the CSTD Secretariat. The report, which is
consultant’s work, was drafted on the basis of the provisional outline that
I circulated in last March. This report is not yet available on line at this
very moment, but might be circulated very shortly. The findings of this
report could feed into the CTSD throughout its session.

Te full list of documents available is posted on the CTSD website:
http://www.unctad.org/Templates/meeting.asp?intItemID=1942
<http://www.unctad.org/Templates/meeting.asp?intItemID=1942&lang=1&m=15018&i
nfo=doc> &lang=1&m=15018&info=doc. I attached the provisional timetable of
the 11th session of the CSTD.

Finally the Registration form / badge request form for ECOSOC and WSIS
accredited NGO is available on line:
http://www.unctad.org/sections/wcmu/docs//ecn162008_registration_en.doc
<http://www.unctad.org/sections/wcmu/docs/ecn162008_registration_en.doc> .

Who within this list is planning to participate in the CSTD-11? I would be
good to also have a preliminary exchange of information on issues
participants are planning to raise in the CSTD Plenary. I’ll let you know
shortly if CONGO is planning to intervene on some of these issues.

Best regards,

Philippe

  _____