[governance] 2008 NomCom Report

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu May 15 13:39:23 EDT 2008

Further to my earlier note...

Let's assume for the moment that words mean what we say they mean (not
always the case but anyway...

Stakeholder: a person, group, organization, or system who affects or can be
affected by an organization's actions (wikipedia)

Okay, so in the "Multi"stakeholder process who are the "stakeholders" and
what are their "stakes" i.e. what is it that they do that will be "affected
by an organization's (the IGF's) actions"?

Well the obvious stakeholders are
	1. government who want to keep (acquire) control over the Internet
for themselves (i.e. keep it out of the hands of others)
	2. the private sector who want to keep the Internet open and
structurally robust for commerce
	3. and... Well maybe the techies who want to keep the Internet
functioning at its highest performance from a technical perspective
	4. and... Well Civil Society but what is it that Civil Society wants
or to put it another way what is it that CS agrees on that would become its
position in relation to how they are "affected" or would "effect" the
operations etc. of the Internet

In a very interesting side conversation Milton (and I believe Wolfgang) both
agreed to the proposition that CS was a "category" (think about the age
categories in a census) rather than a "group" ie. Something with a common
set of interests which might be pursued through CS attempting to affect or
responding to the attemtpts of others to affect the Internet.

If that is the case then I would suggest that in fact CS is not by any
definition that I would understand a "stakeholder" parallel to the other
"stakeholders" but rather as folks like Milton and Suresh seem to be
arguing, a concatenation of all those who don't fit into the other
stakeholder categories--not a very satisfactory position I would think and
not a very strong position to take along to the MAG.

On the other hand I think there is the position that CS at some level is
attempting to affect and manage the effects of/on the Internet in support of
what we might want to call "the public interest" (we could call it "the
public good" as well...

There is a long and deep literature defining the "public interest/public
good" unfortunately (momentarily) ignored in many jurisdictions but it seems
to me that if CS is in fact a "stakeholder" in the IGF process it is
precisely through representing in that forum
notions/aspirations/ideals/norms of the "publc interest/public good".

And although there may be some variation in how the "public good" is defined
specifically, it would seem to me (and a considerable number of people
agree, whatever the distribution of opinion on this elist) that there is
enough there, there in the notion of the "public good" to in fact define a
"stake", interpret the "effects" and attempt to "affect the operations and
outcomes" of the IGF in support of that position and those norms.

That is, CS in the IGF is about the pursuit of the public good (in the
context of the Internet) or it is about nothing at all.

Best to all,

Michael Gurstein