[governance] Statement - IGF Remote Participation

Raquel Gatto raquelgatto at uol.com.br
Mon May 12 16:35:32 EDT 2008

Dear members of the Internet Governance Community,

We are a small group of interested IGF participants, who has joined together with the common concern to foster the possibility of more complete remote attendance at the upcoming IGF in Hyderabad, 2008. Our idea is to help to provide a service that will benefit the people who are unable to attend the IGF, which means that our work is based on a very practical approach.

Our desire is to join forces with the initiatives from the Secretariat and from the Civil Society, especially with the Online Collaboration Dynamic Coalition, seeking the convergence of similar ideas and helping to take them further. We look for ways to:

1) Combine the webcast of the IGF with a platform for interaction, which would be available before, during and after the meeting. For that, we have been exploring the possibilities of different programs.

2) To develop partnerships with regional organizations and communities with the aim to create local IGF hubs. These hubs would be local meetings, which would exhibit the webcast of the IGF as well as hold panels and roundtables, to discuss the themes of the IGF from a local perspective.

We would like to invite all the IG Community to give us their opinion and to participate on this effort. We are developing our website and will let you know when it is ready for visits, meanwhile you can contact us at info at igfremote.com.

We also remind you all that the IGF Secretariat made available webcast and chat features on the last Open Consultations, and is planning to do the same on the next one (tomorrow). It's very important that civil society tests these tools and give some feedback. For further information, please see www.intgovforum.org

We look forward to hearing from you.

IGF Remote Project

PS: Sorry if anyone received multiple messages...