[governance] synthesis paper was Re: [] MAG consultations

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sat May 10 11:51:08 EDT 2008

Hi,

I have passed the concerns on to Markus, and expect he will have some
response during the open consultations

The paper was prepared by the Secretariat. As I understand it, this is
the normal process for groups within the UN framework - that the
Secretariat produces a paper as an input into the discussions. As a
consultant, I was part of the team and can give you my impressions on
the structure of the paper.

The main purpose of the paper is to provide a single text as a basis
to move forward. It combines elements from three different papers.

There are 2 interwoven sections.

- The parts of the paper that are reports of the work that has been
done in the MAG so far, based on consultations and their discussions.
The material  _outside the boxes_ was written based on the results of
the MAG meetings and much of it was reviewed by the MAG at some point
in the past, i.e. in the form of the separate papers that were
incorporated into this paper.

- The material  _inside the boxes_ that is abstracted/synthesized from
the contributions sent in to the secretariat in response to the calls.

In this case the synthesis from the 3 papers received this time was
added to content pulled from the February synthesis paper.  As in all
abstraction and summarization efforts some of the content, especially
its richness is lost. That is why there is a note referring readers to
the documents used as source and recommending that people read these
papers if they are interested in the whole story, including the
thought behind the comments.

Note: Unfortunately, the team overlooked the one contribution sent in
as email to the discussion section, Jeremy's, but I think Markus will
refer to it when introducing the paper next Tuesday.  I also expect
this contribution's content will be referred to in future versions of
the paper.

As mentioned in the introduction of the paper, it is a rolling
document. I believe new comments, as well as new work by the MAG, will
be reflected in the next version which is currently scheduled to come
out next month.  So this is one way in which public opinion, in the
form of comments during the consultations and future contributions
sent to the secretariat, will be reflected in a future version of the
paper.

As for the need 'to scream bloody murder' , as always your mileage may
vary but as far as I can tell from my part time and occasional
involvement with the Secretariat, they do listen and respond to
comments.

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org