[governance] FW: [cracin-discussion] ACTION ALERT: Demand net neutrality now

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 11:26:54 EDT 2008

Since there has been a continuing discussion on issues related to Net
Neutrality on this list I think the discussion which follows below is worth
passing along...

Brian Beaton is the co-ordinator of a very significant Canadian aboriginal
organization (http://knet-ca) which is managing a terrestrial, microwave and
now satellite based infrastructure, servicing very remote (fly in)
communities in Northern Ontario (and soon to include Northern Manitoba and
Northern Quebec) through the Northern Indigenous Communities Satellite
Network (NICSN)) (I'm advising the network on a major long-term community
informatics impact assessment and research capacity building activity
(NICSN: RC) alongside this network).

What is crucial to know about K-Net is that by having control over their own
network they have been able to design, develop and deploy a very broad range
of highly innovative services into their communities including telemedicine,
http://health.knet.ca/  a northern based and indigenous controlled high
school (e-learning) http://kihs.knet.ca/ , and a range of (mostly
videoconference) supports to local development and e-governance
http://media.knet.ca/taxonomy/term/50?page=1.

I think what Brian is articulating is the position of any indigenous
Internet carrier anywhere who is trying to use the Internet infrastructure
to achieve a variety of socially beneficial "effective uses" and in that I
would include a range of other parallel activities in other remote regions
and in a variety of Less Developed Countries.

For Brian the avaiability of bandwidth to support telemedicine services in
the absence of sufficient overall bandwidth trumps abstract notions of "Net
Neutrality".

So, as the Net Neutrality discussion goes forward, mostly pressed by those
with access to bountiful bandwidth resources the issue becomes either to
support what will ultimately be a damaging policy for folks like K-Net or to
include measures to ensure sufficient bandwidth FOR ALL in the Net Neutraliy
equation.

(BTW, if it needed repeating, this should reinforce the necessity to include
a much broader range of voices and particularly the voices of those working
on using Internet for socially beneficial uses on the ground in any of our
discussions concerning Internet Governance, ICT for Development or
whatever.)

MG

Michael Gurstein, Ph.D.
Centre for Community Informatics Research, Training and Development
Ste. 2101-989 Nelson St.
Vancouver BC CANADA v6z 2s1
http://www.communityinformatics.net
tel./fax +1-604-602-0624