[governance] Software Distribution / Turning software

yehudakatz at mailinator.com yehudakatz at mailinator.com
Mon Mar 24 08:36:27 EDT 2008

>Is it your position that apple's browser, or its software distribution
>mechanism, is malware?

Its the 'condition' under which the software distribution mechanism is being
used. My position is that: it violates the Public's Trust, in a system (the
Internet).
The Public 'assumes' the Internet's 'Terms-of-Use' are proactivily in thier
favor.

To me it is no different that having your  eMail address compromised for spam,
or your Browser hyjacked by deceptively clever methods.

I agree with John Lilly (Mozilla CEO),

"Apple has made it incredibly easy -- the default, even -- for users to install
ride along software that they didn't ask for, and maybe didn't want," ...

"This is wrong, and borders on malware distribution practices. It's wrong
because it undermines the trust that we're all trying to build with users.
Because it means that an update isn't just an update, but
is maybe something more. Because it ultimately undermines the safety of users
on the Web by eroding that relationship. It's a bad practice and should stop."

Malware Pirates also make it 'incredibly easy' in fact seamless installations
of application via the net. Users can no longer Trust their own devices because
they cannot depend upon the Internet to be Safe from near stealth application
installations.

I still feel that Internet 'distribution practices' of this kind are subject to
IG.

Sorry you feel differently.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org