[governance] IGC nominees for MAG

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Wed Mar 19 08:39:46 EDT 2008

Parminder,

I think we have to make a distinction between :

1- the broader outreach of the IGC, and generally speaking, its
general efforts to promote what it perceives as shared concerns and
positions from civil society at large, according to its charters'
vision, mission, objectives and tasks. I entirely agree with you on
this, and this is provided by the charter anyway, as you pointed out.
The consequence is that yes, this doesn't prevent IGC to recommend
(e.g. for MAG membership), non current IGC members. Actually, if I
remember well, this already happened during the first selection process.
It's up to the nomcom to take or not into account, among the whole
set of selection criteria, the prior engagement of the applicant with
the IGC, depending on the applicant's overall profile and statement
of intent.
Obviously, once nominated by IGC and then selected by the UN SG, the
MAG member must become engaged in the IGC (and in particular
subscribed to its mailing list) at least during his/her MAG membership.

and

2- the representation issue, in terms of commitments to the IGC from
the eventually selected MAG members: being accountable to the IGC,
promoting and defending the IGC positions, etc.

If you consider these two disctincts levels, we're most probably in
agreement. At least I don't see any contradiction  with what you've
stated.

My point is that any selected MAG member who is present on the IGC
recommendation list sent to the UN SG should consider him/herself as
representative of the IGC in terms of commitments, whether or not
this person have also been proposed by another CS constituency.

For instance, if person X is selected by the UN SG as MAG member,
after having been recommended by IGC as well as by three other
constituencies (or individuals) A, B, and C, X commits anyway 100%
and is 100% accountable to IGC. And to ensure this, this commitment
has to be indicated prior to any selection by IGC. Obviously, it is
left to X's own ethics to make sure that IGC, A, B and C's interests
and positions, as well as requirements in terms of commitment, are
not in contradiction with each others.

Last but not least, the stakeholders repartition of the MAG as well
as the last IGC statement's demand that final selection made by UN SG
clearly indicates what stakeholder group a MAG member is associated
with, make it hardly compatible that a person nominated by IGC be
also nominated by a constituency who presents itself in another
stakeholder category than CS.

Best,
Meryem

     governance at lists.cpsr.org