[governance] IGC nominees for MAG

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Tue Mar 18 09:35:26 EDT 2008

Dear Parm and all,

Parminder wrote:

>> We need to untangle this. If there is to be a nomcom, it has to adhere
>> to certain rules (not nominating themselves, not taking the initiative
>> to capture nominees a la ICANN; it should just facilitate the process
>> and try to consolidate a list of names generated by the IGC and the
>> different other regional cauci as well as other CS constituencies which
>> are involved in the IG debate).
>>

> Carlos
>
> I think the nomcom will have to do more than 'consolidate a list of names'
> as reach it from various quarters. It is has to do 'selection', there is no
> other choice. (I did propose consideration of the alternative of direct
> voting a few days back.)

I understand this as consolidating and facilitating the process. Any
submission of candidates would be part of a list regularly updated and
submitted to the caucus for opinions and review. Any decision on the
part of the nomcom regarding names which would stay or go would have to
be first reviewed by the caucus.

> And what do you mean by ' a list of names generated by the IGC'. Nomcom is
> THE process to generate such a list. Or do you mean anyone from within or
> outside who self-nominates, or someone else nominates her, automatically
> forms this list.... I don't think we are looking at that. Forwarding  a huge
> list of all willing persons to the SG will just mean we give up all our
> selection rights and leave it entirely to the SG. I don't think this is what
> most people here want...

"Generated" in the above sense, ie, grouping together all submissions,
be then individual, from constituencies other than this caucus, regional
cauci, and the ones from this caucus. No candidate of any kind will be
rejected unilaterally by the nomcom.

> And yes, nomcom should give due weight-age and if needed priority to
> nominations by other CS groups. But unfortunately there arent many who will
> be doing such a nomination process. It is for this reason that even if with
> a thin, and somewhat shaky, base, IGC which (to a considerable extent) fills
> in the CS vacuum in the IG space should consider these task of CS
> representation with a great deal of seriousness and sense of responsibility.

Any decision, as I said, ought to be submitted to this caucus first for
approval. Regarding the final list to be submitted, I understand there
is an online election mechanism being tested (just read in a recent msg
from you)? How would this be used? Who would vote?

Here in LA&C caucus we are trying a similar process, but decisions will
be by the entire caucus through a proven online voting mechanism (run by
NIC.br and which has been used already by NCUC and others). The mail
list itself is the nomcom, and there is a facilitator to organize,
consolidate and put the final list to an online voting mechanism -- the
caucus (consisting of people subscribed to the alc-cmsi list) is the
electoral college, and we have been insisting that people join the
caucus' list to participate in the voting process; people which are not
in the caucus can be nominated as well. This is not a perfect process,
particularly because it is being basically conducted in Spanish, and
several countries, particularly in the Caribbean, do not speak Spanish.
We are trying to bring people from the Caribbean as candidates. The
facilitator (currently me, c.a.) is not and will not be a candidate.

This way, if there is any "manipulation" ;), the entire caucus is to blame.

frt rgds

--c.a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org