[governance] IGC nominees for MAG

Fouad Riaz Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 01:46:55 EDT 2008

Hi Everyone,

My name is Fouad Bajwa and I am new to this list, thanks to Parminder for
inviting me to join. Just as a brief introduction, my engagement with IG
with a particular focus on ICT4D and Free and Open Source Software/Access to
Knowledge began many years ago and participation in the WSIS was part of our
efforts.

I bring with me a background spanned over more than a decade of working in
the government, academia, civil society and private sector. Advocacy, online
journalism and ICT4D reporting & analysis have been a parallel activity for
me throughout my career and I have been contributing to the BytesForAll
South Asia Network [ http://www.bytesforall.net &
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BytesForAll ] as a member.

I received a DiploFoundation Internet Governance Capacity Building Programme
2006 IGCBP'06 scholarship and participated in core IG activities since then,
my focus being IG issues for Pakistan, human rights violations and cyber
crimes, global ICT4D low-cost access and the global digital commons (with a
focus on Asia).

A key subject of my advocacy was the issue about Patenting the Internet and
I have deliberated on various platforms in the region on this issue.
Currently I am co-authoring/editing a document on the Asia Commons [
http://www.asia-commons.net & http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asia_Commons ]
that will serve as guidance to the Asian community with respect to the
Digital Commons in Asia, their contributions and curation of the Public
Domain, Countering Intellectual Property Rights Propaganda, Access to
Knowledge/Open Publishing, Free and Open Source Software, Grey Market
Economics, Internet Governance. The proceedings of Asia Commons can be
viewed through the following link:
http://wikis.bellanet.org/asia-commons/index.php/Main_Page

There is also space for realizing the Universal Commons of Human Beings
where the Internet can be prevented from being patented, protecting our
rights on the Internet, keeping it open and free in terms of End-to-End
networking and countering the IPR propaganda. This forum proves to be just
the answer to these issues and much more.

We want to bring to IGF the Asian civil society perspectives on IPR, and
defense of the Digital Commons from our region, you will be able to read
that anticipation in "Asia Commons Learning Guide And The Way Ahead"
http://wikis.bellanet.org/asia-commons/index.php/Learning_Document and in
the meantime. I am not alone; there are various issues, actors and
activities that are a part of this effort and I would like to represent
these on this forum to the IGF.

I look forward to contributing effectively. If required, I would like to
volunteer for the NomCom as a first step.

Best Regards

Fouad Bajwa
DiploFoundation IGCBP'06 Alumnus