[governance] IGC nominees for MAG

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Mar 18 01:26:12 EDT 2008

> We need to untangle this. If there is to be a nomcom, it has to adhere
> to certain rules (not nominating themselves, not taking the initiative
> to capture nominees a la ICANN; it should just facilitate the process
> and try to consolidate a list of names generated by the IGC and the
> different other regional cauci as well as other CS constituencies which
> are involved in the IG debate).

Carlos

I think the nomcom will have to do more than 'consolidate a list of names'
as reach it from various quarters. It is has to do 'selection', there is no
other choice. (I did propose consideration of the alternative of direct
voting a few days back.)

And what do you mean by ' a list of names generated by the IGC'. Nomcom is
THE process to generate such a list. Or do you mean anyone from within or
outside who self-nominates, or someone else nominates her, automatically
forms this list.... I don't think we are looking at that. Forwarding  a huge
list of all willing persons to the SG will just mean we give up all our
selection rights and leave it entirely to the SG. I don't think this is what
most people here want...

And yes, nomcom should give due weight-age and if needed priority to
nominations by other CS groups. But unfortunately there arent many who will
be doing such a nomination process. It is for this reason that even if with
a thin, and somewhat shaky, base, IGC which (to a considerable extent) fills
in the CS vacuum in the IG space should consider these task of CS
representation with a great deal of seriousness and sense of responsibility.

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org