[governance] FW: [A2k] keeping an eye on IP enforcement/ISPliability in Europe: good news from Sweden

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 21:19:29 EDT 2008

Yes and I agree...

MG

-----Original Message-----
From: Suresh Ramasubramanian [mailto:suresh at hserus.net]
Sent: March 17, 2008 6:00 PM
To: Michael Gurstein
Cc: governance at lists.cpsr.org; 'Thomas Lowenhaupt'
Subject: Re: [governance] FW: [A2k] keeping an eye on IP
enforcement/ISPliability in Europe: good news from Sweden

Michael Gurstein [17/03/08 13:28 -0700]:

>I think that the response to this deep uneasiness is not to reject the
>notion of the use of public means to ensure the public interest but
>rather to attempt in whatever way possible to ensure that those
>processes are accountable and responsible and this I believe should be
>the goal of CS

CS can help by working to ensure transparency / accountability etc in these
processes, definitely.  CS can be an independent stakeholder too - the "user
community" is critical in keeping ISPs on the straight and narrow when it
comes to not abusing their powers, and in keeping governments that way as
well, when it comes to legislation that affects this.

But CS can be one of two things - vocal and uninformed, or deeply involved,
engaged and informed. On the whole, I would prefer #2.

	suresh

     governance at lists.cpsr.org