[governance] FW: [A2k] keeping an eye on IP enforcement/ISP liability in Europe: good news from Sweden

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 16:28:12 EDT 2008

Hi Suresh (and Tom),

Yes certainly it is understandable that ISPs may wish to exert this kind of
control including in the context of Internet access as a public good (not
necessarily a public utility which I would understand as having to do with
the matter of ownership... In the approach I am suggesting whether the
Internet is or is not "publicly owned" is a pragmatic issue but that it is
approached in terms of policy, as a "public service", is not.)

However, the issue here is not simply whether or not such oversight by ISPs
may be necessary but rather what oversight of the ISPs might be necessary
and possible to ensure that the public interest in these matters is
protected.

There is underlying this discussion a significant divide between those who
have trust or at least some degree of optimism (hope?) in the capacity of
publicly accountable institutions to ensure the delivery and maintenance of
a "public service" such as, I'm suggesting, the Internet; and those who
(perhaps based on direct and extremely sad recent experience of a particular
global superpower) have little faith that such is possible.

I think that the response to this deep uneasiness is not to reject the
notion of the use of public means to ensure the public interest but rather
to attempt in whatever way possible to ensure that those processes are
accountable and responsible and this I believe should be the goal of CS
including in this context since I see no way in which CS can as a group
achieve the degree of coherence and consensus of vision or will sufficient
to become an independent stakeholder in these decision processes.

MG