[governance] IGC nominees for MAG

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Mon Mar 17 12:35:50 EDT 2008

Milton L Mueller wrote:

> a one-third rotation. Our list, therefore, is simpy our advice on who
> to throw out and who could be added. It is not even binding advice, as we
> all know.

Ah good. Throw out?  Nice choice of wording there, possibly even a Freudian
slip based on all the "maybe all of the MAG will be retained as before in
our new submission" clarifications from previous emails (or like the below).

> It is likely, in my opinion, that some of the existing MAG members will
> be on our new list, it is even possible that all of them will. But the

> Indeed, I find it difficult to think of any justification for this rule.
> As I said, this list is nothing more than advice on who to throw out
> and who could be added. So creating a rule that forces us to support all

Why have a nomcomm at all, then?  Have the current MAG members, as well as
any others that wish to stand, stand for election. There aren't that many
people on the list, and balloting should be fairly easy to arrange.  With
one person one vote based on some criterion like "has been on the list for
so long" .

Forget nominations, bring the process right out into the open.

	srs

     governance at lists.cpsr.org