[governance] IGC nominees for MAG

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Thu Mar 13 07:53:48 EDT 2008

I asked Markus yesterday on the MAG list about the process for
rotation, what's expected next in terms of timeline etc.  He replied
to say the matter is out of his hands and could we be patient.  He
hopes for news from New York soon, but in the mean time it's never
too early to start the process.

Seems the MAG's suggestions from the last consultation are now with
the secretary general's office -- not a surprise given the SG
directed the MAG to propose a means of rotation that he'd then want
to see the proposal before agreeing to it!

So starting a process as Parminder's done is the right way forward.

What can we learn from the process used in 2006
<http://www.nomadicity.net/IGC-candidates-for-IGF-MAG.html>

Perhaps begin by discussing criteria?  Situation now's different from
2006, but anyway here's what was used then:

"Criteria

The criteria the IGC NomCom used were originally discussed on the
Internet Governance caucus list and then discussed by the NomCom
before making their selections.

The basic criteria established before the first choices were made include:

     * Must be active civil society participants
     * Should be at least 2 from each of the 5 geographical regions if possible
     * Should attempt to achieve gender balance
     * Should include as much diversity as possible; e.g. for skill
and knowledge set, age, disability, etc.
     * Should include people who have shown commitment to keeping CS
updated on developments
     * Should be people who have shown ability to lobby governments in
order to help achieve CS positions

A working statement of the criteria is best expressed by a quote from
one of the members of the NomCom:

To that end, people we appoint should have a stated (and, I would
hope, demonstrated) commitment to consultation and thoughtful
dialogue with the community. We should seek a diversity of views and
talents on the committee, but one constant should be good
communication. This is more than participation on the list; it also
includes listening, mediating,facilitating, trying to build consensus
-- and, most importantly, being able to articulate the truly held
views of others even when you disagree with them." (end)

Rotation of a third means a couple of people, as we believe CS is
under represented I hope we can also make the case for additional CS
members, how we argue that will be important (I hope on the merits of
civil society's contributions to WSIS and the IGF, as the largest
group of participants at the meetings, and substantive contributors
to workshops and other events, rather than arguing some other group
has too many.)

Adam
     governance at lists.cpsr.org