[governance] civil society outreach

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Mar 12 06:49:22 EDT 2008

I had proposed an outreach effort from the IGC towards CS persons who
attended IGF, Rio. (Pl see enclosed email of 24th Jan). I received one
positive response with a proposed addition, which I am incorporating in an
email that I am sending out to a list of Rio attendees.

The draft of the letter will be as follows.

Dear ..

This email is from the Co-Coordinator of the Civil Society Internet
Governance Caucus (IGC). IGC is a group of civil society actors who are
interested in IG issues, and wish 'to promote global public interest
objectives in Internet governance policy making' (to quote the charter of
the group, which may be seen at
http://www.igcaucus.org/IGC-charter_final-061014.html).

Your participation at the IGF Rio suggests that you may be interested in
associating with such a group. We are especially trying to reach out to such
individuals who have not merely an academic interest in IG but are
interested in pursuing a relatively active advocacy agenda in this area.
Issues like openness of the Internet, freedom of expression, privacy,
Internet and development and IPR versus public domain on the Internet are
some important Internet policy areas which require active civil society
engagement at a global level.  A civil society group like the IGC which
conducts most of its activities online, supported with some crucial
interventions in face-to-face meetings on IG issues, provides a useful forum
for individuals who may be differently situated in terms of availability of
time and other resources, but are nonetheless interested in impacting
Internet policy making.

IGC's mailing list is also one of the most active forums of informed
discussions on IG issues with very diverse viewpoints. Participation in
these discussions may help you understand and shape civil society
perspectives on IG.

If you are interested in joining the group, at the first level you may
subscribe to the IGC mailing list using the web interface at
http://lists.cpsr.org/lists/subscribe/governance . In addition, if you are
willing to subscribe to the IGC charter
(http://www.igcaucus.org/IGC-charter_final-061014.html ) please reply to
this email with such indication, and we will add your name to the list of
individuals who have subscribed to the IGC charter. Endorsement of the
charter is a condition for full membership of the IGC, which inter alia
means that one has voting rights for making collective decisions on behalf
of the group.

Thanks... "

(ends)

Parminder