[governance] Re: Stephanie's - User input to Internet

yehudakatz at mailinator.com yehudakatz at mailinator.com
Mon Mar 10 12:51:25 EDT 2008

Stéphane,

Your absolutlty right about my suggestions not applying to the IETF
per se its intrest in technical protocal.
However when you consider the IEFT overall mission statement
[ http://www.ietf.org/overview.html ];

... The Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) is a large open
international community of network designers, operators, vendors,
and researchers concerned with the evolution of the Internet
architecture and the smooth operation of the Internet.
It is open to any interested individual.
The IETF Mission Statement is documented in RFC 3935. ...

Technical Work aside: (*4) "to safeguard the open marketplace of ideas
on the Internet by adopting and enforcing baseline protections to guard
against unreasonable discriminatory favoritism"

Then global 'economic forces' should be considered.
The reason we don't see 'network operators' in parts of Asia,
parts of Africa, in parts of S. America, is simply due to economic
realities. If the Providers of a an area can't afford to do buisness,
then basicaly we have a hole in the network.
One World global communications fail.

We agree on the technical aspects/merits of your three items,
I feel the economic aspects go hand-in-hand with the these,
so that we can "safeguard the open marketplace of ideas".

So I suggested that we move to remove the vices of economic favoritism
(a discriminatory favoritism) by adapting some safeguards.

The "open marketplace of ideas" is very close to "freedom-of-speach",
however two differnet things. Along this line, if there is a hole in
the Network due to economic conditions, then those who reside inside
the area are squelched out of the marketplace.
Silenced (silence=death, the community cannot grow)

I don't see a reason for the IEFT not to participate in this arena.
I do agree with you that it would be difficult to 'write' these types of
standards & principles	into the IEFT format.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org