[governance] What is CS

Dan Krimm dan at musicunbound.com
Sun Mar 9 23:27:36 EDT 2008

At 12:31 AM -0800 3/9/08, Karl Auerbach wrote:
>Dan Krimm wrote:
>
>> One thing is clear to me in all of the MuSHiness: there is no way to talk
>> about multistakeholder organizational structures in a useful and productive
>> manner without clearly and sharply defining the classification of the
>> stakeholder groups, and clarifying the criteria of stakeholder
>> representation by individuals....
>
>I have always considered the word "stakeholder" to be inconsistent with
>the idea of democracy, whether direct or representative.
>
>For more see:
>   Stakeholderism - The Wrong Road For Internet Governance - at
>http://www.cavebear.com/archive/rw/igf-democracy-in-internet-governance.pdf

Just skimmed it briefly, an interesting idea, though it seems heavy on
semantics to me (the "fix" is to consider "stakeholders" on an opt-out
rather than opt-in basis -- if in doubt, one has a stake until proven
otherwise -- and to include secondary stakeholders by default, including
everyone for whom multiplier effects and indirect causality affects them at
some point down the road, which is basically how you get to including
everyone).

I certainly agree with you that all human beings are "stakeholders" in the
Internet, and thus in Internet Governance, because everyone will be
affected by the Internet at some point, even if only indirectly.  The
question is not whether but how to represent these interests.

Though, I would go further and maintain that the Commonwealth (the tide
that lifts all ships) has interests above and beyond any possible
collection of individual interests.

Dan
     governance at lists.cpsr.org