[governance] A Wave of the Watch List, and Speech Disappears

linda misek-falkoff ldmisekfalkoff at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 12:56:50 EST 2008

Dear Bertrand and All:

Indeed Issues of *virtual geography* abound (I  think of this when reading
Michael's enriching community posts, and as early as a few decades ago (in
litigation) encountered e.g. in online defamation cases and whether judges
consider that they have jurisdiction - can bring cases into their courtroom
(or, that is, wish to).

My experience in courts is that the reach of the court is pretty narrowly
construed in the USA as compared with some *physical) places in Europe, at
least (and still) with currently seated judges, but jurisdiction is a HUGE
issue.  Glad to read the posts here, though at a slant with
*CyberLibel,*CyberStalking, e-IdentityTheft, or other aspects of
Reputation Management,
etc.. But however enumerated, these legal sub-domains are included in *Human
Rights* concerns, as are many commonly embedded otherwise in
*Development*discussions. Can
*Security* be far b ehind?

I hope we'll find a place at Conferences for all of these inter and intra
cultural considerations,  regarding one region's influence over others,
wherever in the *spatial/temporal* world they may be..

Just some thoughts from here on current and quite interesting discourse,
With very best wishes, LDMF.
Linda D. Misek-Falkoff, Ph.D., J.D.
*Respectful Interfaces*.
For I.D. only here: Communications Coordination Committee For the U.N.