[governance] A Wave of the Watch List, and Speech Disappears

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri Mar 7 17:25:24 EST 2008

Sorry for being too cryptic, too rhetorical and a tad visionary.

The idea was that we develop new global institutions and not rely on
national judges applying national law. ICANN is an existence proof -
whatever one thinks of it, warts and all, there are no judges from
authoritarian nations (only the USA) making decisions for it - although
the disturbing increase in the authority of GAC and the growing
willingness of ICANN management to kow tow to those in power, including
such governments, is worth noting.

Rony, here is what I said:

How can we better realize the potential of the Internet to offer global
services without ensnaring end users/customers in the idiosyncracies of
territorial jurisdictions? How can we create a global -- and globally
accountable -- "jurisdiction" within which these services can be
offered?

It's a vision of potential, nothing more nothing less. To ask "how does
it work in practice" is indeed the question that must be faced and
answered. But if you don't know where you are headed, if you have no
vision of where things could go, that is just as dangerous as having a
vision of possibility and no clear idea of how to implement it.