[governance] A Wave of the Watch List, and Speech Disappears

Bret Fausett bfausett at internet.law.pro
Fri Mar 7 10:45:49 EST 2008

On Mar 6, 2008, at 3:01 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:
> Another way to put this is that as long as 85% of the DNS registry
> market is located in the US, the US government and US-based law will
> have near-global authority over key aspects of the Internet.

If 85% of the market is in U.S.-based business, perhaps the best
lesson here is that registrants should move their domain names out of
the U.S. unless they want to be subject to U.S. laws. I don't think
most registrants understand the consequences of selecting a services
provider -- be it a registrar or a hosting company -- based outside
their own country.

Isn't this an opportunity to teach? Maybe we should do something on
this inside IGF. I would think the governments of the world would
welcome the opportunity to teach users about the benefits of locally
owned businesses.

        -- Bret
     governance at lists.cpsr.org