[governance] A Wave of the Watch List, and Speech Disappears

Bret Fausett bfausett at internet.law.pro
Fri Mar 7 10:36:22 EST 2008

On Mar 7, 2008, at 3:08 AM, Bertrand de La Chapelle wrote:
> My questions were related to the hypothesis of such an order being
> given by a court in the US (as per Milton's comment) towards a
> registrar that would be elsewhere.

This happens with some frequency. (a) Foreign registrar is sued in the
U.S. (b) Foreign registrar fails to appear in the U.S. court. (c) The
plaintiff gets a judgment against the foreign registrar commanding it
to do something (or for money damages).

At this point, the Plaintiff can seize any assets of the foreign
registrar that are in the U.S. as a means of securing the judgment. If
there are no assets in the U.S., the Plaintiff must take the judgment
to the foreign registrar's home jurisdiction and ask the courts in the
foreign country to honor the U.S. judgment. Whether or not a country
will honor a U.S. judgment depends on many factors, such as whether
the U.S. would in turn honor that country's judgments and the
perceived fairness of the U.S. proceeding, including whether the
foreign court believes the U.S. had jurisdiction over the foreign
registrar.

Now substitute "foreign company" for "foreign registrar," and you'll
see an even bigger body of similar case law. We all learn this in law
school, as it comes up with from time to time.

       -- Bret
     governance at lists.cpsr.org