[governance] A Wave of the Watch List, and Speech Disappears

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 06:08:02 EST 2008

Meryem,

I fully agree this case is a "notice and take down" procedure. My questions
were related to the hypothesis of such an order being given by a court in
the US (as per Milton's comment) towards a registrar that would be
elsewhere.

You raise a valid question when you say : "it seems that the CDA provisions
allows quite a wide interpretation: a "provider or user" could be a
registrar.". Interesting point to explore further.

What you actually describe is a chain of successive enforcement modes :
notice and take down on specific contents towards the site operator, notice
and take down for a whole site through the ISP, suspension of the domain via
the registrar, and then the registry. This escalation, may be compared to
the nuclear deterrence "graduated response" model (and you know this
expression has flourished in France in relation to the measures proposed in
the case of music downloads). Interestingly enough, such mechanism cannot
escalate up to the root itself.

In cases of competing or overlapping jurisdictions, the key question you
want to see addressed, if I understand well, is the transparency and
accountability (including capacity for redress and appeal) that should exist
at these different levels. It is indeed the right question. Relying merely
on the national law or on contracts is not enough to provide a coherent
framework. This is the challenge we are facing.

In that context, the notion of "fractal sovereignty" I was alluding to would
not be a breach of the rule of law. Quite on the contrary, an attempt to
maintain (or establish) it in cases where the web is raising new problems
that are hard to solve with pure territorial sovereignty and the
non-involvement of key technical or commercial actors.

I do not have the full solution. But we probably need to forge new concepts
if we want to define a global framework that works and is widely
acceptable.

Thanks for your comments anyway.

Best

Bertrand