[governance] Some Help Needed in Developing CS Statement for OECD Ministerial

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Mar 7 01:47:11 EST 2008

Michael

Thanks for taking up this initiative. I agree to go with the statement as it
stands, and I think it is very comprehensive. However I am offering some
comments which you may use if and as found appropriate.

 I am replying publicly because I thought some the comments offered here may
draw some responses here which themselves may be of some use to you.

I think the statement is very good, and covers most areas of 'specific'
exclusions in the IS (or info economy, IE) very well. I would though like to
have some overall text prefacing what you have put down, which points to the
'systemic exclusions' arising from the way dominant version of IS or IE is
conceived and practiced at present. Oftentimes, speaking only of 'marginal'
exclusions, which can be corrected by patchwork here and there, serves to
draw attention away from the issue of systemic exclusions which are more
fundamental, and severely limit any real possibility of participation and
inclusion. I therefore think that the statement should engage at both these
levels.

Classically, every (political) economy recognizes the distinction between
those aspects that are of a 'public infrastructural' nature and those that
need to be an exclusive preserve of the markets. Public infrastructural
aspects requires large scale public investments in areas which support a
huge amount of supra-structural economic activity, and these infrastructural
areas may by themselves, for various structural reasons, be not attractive
enough to private investment. Even if private investment does go into these
critical infrastructures it may tend to skew the opportunity structures in a
manner inimical to both the overall economy, and the concerns of equity
within it. The emerging IS or IE has new key infrastructural elements at
many levels whose 'public nature' needs to be recognized, and the financing
and regulation of these elements has to proceed from this recognition.

 Beyond this distinction, every (political) economy or society also
recognizes areas where direct public investments are needed not only as per
economic logic stated above, but as a matter of social policy, to account
for various basic needs and rights of the people, and to address various
social inclusions. Policy makers need to see the Internet not only as a new
market infrastructure, but also as a critical social infrastructure,
bringing in the issues of rights and entitlements that are important aspects
of today's welfare state.

At present Information economy (or society) is often recognized as one
exclusively market-mediated monolith where public sector is mostly only
given a regulatory role. The traditional socio-economic distinctions of
areas of an economy where markets dominate -personal automobiles for
instance, and areas where public sector dominates - basic essential
infrastructure, and specific domains like education and health, are
obliterated. This is done in the fictional belief that somehow ICTs have
completely perfected the markets, and that public sector interventions were
in any case only needed for correcting market imperfections. This is a
dangerous political economy assumption, which is not proven, and would
certainly lead to massive exclusions and discriminations in the emerging
information society (economy).

When speaking about guiding principles of the future Information economy,
which I understand the OECD ministerial seeks to do, it is important to
recognize the elements of the IS - and of its paradigmatic infrastructure,
the Internet - that are essentially of the nature of public infrastructure
and public services. Discriminations and exclusions are systemically and
structurally related to this issue of the adequate policy distinction
between the private or market-mediated, on one hand, and the 'public', on
the other, in the IS, while it is still important to deal specifically with
each kind of exclusion that your statement elaborates on so well.

 In this context it may also be useful to refer the inputs of the European
Council to the IGF which emphasizes the 'public service value' of the
Internet, and links the issue of access to the Internet with democratic
citizenship. To quote.

"Consequently, it is proposed that everyone should be entitled to expect the
delivery of a minimum level of Internet services (for example effective and
affordable access, a suitable environment for businesses to operate, etc.)
irrespective of both the architecture of the World Wide Web (infrastructure,
accessibility, interconnectivity) and the arrangements concerning its
construction and development, with regard to the rules or principles that
apply - or ought to apply - to the Internet's use (such as freedom of speech
and of association, right to private life and correspondence, consumer
protection, security, crime-prevention)."

(http://www.intgovforum.org/Substantive_1st_IGF/CoE%20submission%20to%20the%
20IGF.pdf )

Parminder

  _____