[governance] A Wave of the Watch List, and Speech Disappears

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Thu Mar 6 05:04:27 EST 2008

Hi all,

I have seen things like a company in the us, consisting of lawyers mostly,
registered the name "yoga" and tried to sue indian sites about yoga.

They closed a lot of small free sites and only the big and money earning
sites survived. So copyright definitely has censored free speech.

Although the big sites succeeded to fight back, the small ones are still
missing and probably will never come back because the people who did
run them have closed shop and cleared the servers.

Same goes for the name "reiki" to mention just two of them.

>From the german pirates party I know we have been looking into the
barrel of Disney's elevated shotgun. Only they know - Stoertebaker
is older than Disney :)

I guess everybody who is running a well frequented site has at lest
once in his live had the pleasure to chat with somebody elses lawyer.

Kind regards
Peter Dambier

KovenRonald at aol.com wrote:
> Dear All --
>
> And there are serious US First Amendment lawyers who consider copyright
> to be a breach of freedom of speech. That's not a view I happen to share
> because I believe that copyright encourages speech by rewarding  it. But
> I'm having a hard time understanding the distinction between posting the
> text of a fairly short article for the edification of a small group and
> the posting of a link. From a functional viewpoint, it's what a Jesuit
> would call a distinction without a difference.
>
> Best regards, Rony Koven
>

> **************
> It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms, and advice on AOL Money & Finance.
> (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001)

Peter and Karin Dambier
Cesidian Root - Radice Cesidiana
Rimbacher Strasse 16