[governance] User input to Internet architecture work

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Tue Mar 4 02:56:44 EST 2008

Hi McTim,

Let me pick up at

> There is no "Internet Police Force', nor should there be, nor should
> there be an "Internet Government", rather decentralised functions in
> diverse bodies that use open, transparent, bottom-up processes, all
> communicating and coordinating and cooperating together.  Much like
> what we currently have, which has helped to make the Internet so
> resilient and useful for so many.
>
> In addition, I think that giving this sort of authority to an
> organisation whose "Board" is a "Multistakeholder" Advisory Group
> which has some not so secret 50% rule of govt representation, and the
> rest of the folk are appointed by the UNSG is not the sort of body I
> would choose to take on this uberpower (if I wanted this power to be
> granted).

I don’t see any of this as incompatible with what I am suggesting, nor do I
suggest some centralised power such as an IGF as controlling everything. IGF
to me would be a nice catalyst for development of separate structures and
groups where we currently have gaps (we went through a bit of an analysis of
where there are gaps a few months ago here)

What I would like to see is a situation where every stakeholder group had a
clear and appropriate role in each governance organisation, and where
governance organizations as a whole provided coverage of all critical areas
where we do need different groups of stakeholders involved. (and clear
interrelationships)  We aren't there yet!

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
10:01

     governance at lists.cpsr.org