VS: "bridge", was Re: VS: [governance] Summary Report of IGF MAG

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Mar 3 12:19:25 EST 2008

> we should be aware that sometimes this might make it more difficult to

> defend public interest against economic interests (at least in my country

> the cathalytic converter for cars would not have become mandatory in a

> non-hierachical ms automotive community
).

Exactly the case as quoted by Stephane regarding current tech governance.

>>Fora like the IGF never discuss practical things, focusing instead on
politician matters like >>the number of seats in a board. This is the
challenge that CS should now take.

>>Otherwise, the Internet will be ruled by the big and wealthy companies. A
recent Internet-draft >on the design process of the new architecture
(>http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-burness-locid-
<http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-burness-locid-%3eevaluate> >evaluate)

>>says it quite bluntly:

     > >Key players must not be disadvantaged, or they may try to obstruct

      > >standards or restrict deployment

Equivalents of success of cathalytic converter in Germany may not be
possible in a tech governance regime, as at present, with inadequate
sensitivity to the distinction between public interest and economic/
business/ private interests. Also a problem of category and interest
definitions, and limits all-our-interests-are-shared (at least for non-gov
categories) approach.

Parminder