"bridge", was Re: VS: [governance] Summary Report of IGF MAG available

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Mar 3 11:45:41 EST 2008

> > 'ICANN is CS'
>
> well they are a non profit NGO.
>
> and to date within the UN, non profit NGO's have been defined as CS.

Avri

And you expect us to ignore the fact that when ICANN had the choice to
register either as civil society entity or as business sector entity for
WSIS it registered as a business sector entity :) So all this defense of
ICANN as CS may be a case of being 'more loyal than the king'. Though we all
agree that ICANN is a new kind of an organization and did not fit into
existing UN classification. There is no class there for a global governance
body which is not inter-governmental. But that doesn't make it into a CS
entity, it makes it into a global governance entity.

ICANN makes policy, and we are affected by it... so, in relation to
extracting accountability in relation to their policy making function, we
need to differentiate ourselves from it. The same is not true for instance
about the other IG CS group of Loius Pouzin and Francis Muguet. If one does
not agree with them, one can do ones business and not engage with them or
whatever... They don't have any monopoly power to make policy that impacts
you, so disengaging is possible. But this is not true of ICANN. So it is not
CS.

> but we cannot unilaterally
> declare them to not be CS.

First of all it is not so unilateral because they themselves have declared
themselves non-CS as per their WSIS registration. Secondly, FOR OUR OWN
PURPOSES we have complete right to declare any other organization - with
which we are forced to do business, in this case because of their policy
making power over us - as of one or the other kind, with due justifications.

And I thought we accepted the distinction between ICANN+ organizations and
civil society when we said in our consensus statement that

"We agree that the organizations having an important role in Internet
administration and the development of Internet-related technical standards
should continue to be represented in the MAG. However, their representation
should not be at the expense of civil society participation."

The only thing we could not agree upon was whether to consider these orgs
for a special three-stakeholders-plus quota, or consider this group of orgs
as a fourth stakeholder. Personally, I have not much against the
nomenclature stakeholder, though it cant be said that all stakeholder by the
very fact should get equal quota...... but well, these points could not be
clarified.

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org