[governance] Re: IPv[4,6, 4/6] was IGF delhi format

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at internatif.org
Mon Mar 3 04:40:31 EST 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 11:35:18PM +0530,
 Parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote
 a message of 157 lines which said:

> Or was that the only possibility.

Probably. As I said, I do not remember a written and detailed proposal
(vague ideas in front of a coffee machine or at the IGF plenary do not
count) to have both the extended address space (as available in IPv6)
and compatibility with the old protocol (IPv4).

> Why there was no other proposal. Is it technically difficult or
> impossible?

My bet is that it is in the same category as the squaring of the
circle (or having multiple consistent DNS roots). Impossible without a
*major* breakthrough in science. Nobel prize candidates may apply but
ordinary engineers should instead spend their time on realistic
proposals.

> Would they have done differently if they were politically
> differently inclined, meaning had different socio-political
> objectives/ values/ compulsions/ constraints (I know that this is
> the tough question,

Yes, very tough.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org