VS: [governance] Summary Report of IGF MAG available

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Sat Mar 1 10:18:27 EST 2008

On 1 Mar 2008, at 14:44, Kleinwächter, Wolfgang wrote:

> And how you can split the other 20 among PS, CS and technical and
> academic community? 7 PS, 7 CS and 4 TC and 2 AC?

are you assuming that each participant wears one hat and only one hat?

due to my status as a consultant to the secretariat, i am not
qualified for this game, but i consider myself as having a hat in each
of these closets:

- i belong to several NGO's and am working on founding one with some
other people, and thus consider myself CS
- i have a part time university appointment and thus am AC
- i participate in the IETF, am an appointee in ICANN, write
protocols, and do technical research and thus am TC
- i hire myself out as professional consultant (gotta pay the rent
somehow) and hence am a small business person - PS

I don't think I am alone in this multi-hatted nature (though i may
take it to extremes)

note, the gov'ts don't only appoint government people.  some can
appoint CS, especially in those countries where CS considers itself
served well by the gov't.  in fact this was part of the argument for
more people from development countries since they consider that those
countries are the ones who really support CS.  so _in addition_ to
trying to place development CS people through the other category, i
suggest that CS from developing countries get their gov'ts to live up
to the promise.

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org