[governance] Summary Report of IGF MAG available

Ken Lohento klohento at panos-ao.org
Sat Mar 1 05:48:55 EST 2008

Parminder a écrit :

> On the substantive issues proposed for main sessions at Hyderabad.

In fact, regarding the themes/sub-themes to be discussed, we can not
consider now that things are already decided. I agree with Parminder
that some ideas mentioned in the IGC statements appear more or less in
the MAG report (for example having a session on IGF mandate), but these
are just notes of what people said (in general). It's the next MAG
(renewed with 2/3 of the current members probably) who will make the
final proposals (and the "Secretary General" will decide). So what
appears as gains may still be challenged. Sometimes, ideas put in the
report may seem even contradictory a bit, but it was to reflect main
discussions. For example, a group of stakeholders proposed an
alternative agenda which was a bit discussed and some thought that some
ideas of that agenda are also valid and might be considered. Another
illustration is that we have various options in the following phrasings :

“Universalization of the Internet - How to reach the next billion
(alternate title: Expanding the Internet)”, and, “Managing the Internet
(alternate title: Using the Internet)”

The "development agenda" was not noted phrased like that, some
questioned the meaning of that concept, and finally it's "Implications
for development policy" that was noted in the report.

However it's sure that it's along ideas in the reports that an important
part of the programme in India will be designed.

Regarding the 50/50 split (gov and others), I'm not sure we could have
changed things. Even some say governments were still
underrepresented....I agree we should keep calling for a better
representation of CS.

Regards

KL

     governance at lists.cpsr.org