[governance] Summary Report of IGF MAG available

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Sat Mar 1 05:15:24 EST 2008

At 1:55 PM +0530 3/1/08, Parminder wrote:
>On the substantive issues proposed for main sessions at Hyderabad.

(snip)

>One can already see the battle-lines in the way
>the main themes and possible alternatives are
>listed.
>
>³Universalization of the Internet - How to reach
>the next billion (alternate title: Expanding the
>Internet)², and,  ³Managing the Internet
>(alternate title: Using the Internet)²
>
>No prizes for guessing who was pushing for what.

  OK

>Universalization of Internet is the social
>policy language, Œhow to reach the next billion¹
>and Œexpanding the Internet¹ are market and
>business sector languageŠ..

Chatham house, not allowed to attribute comments.
But I think I can say you don't get a prize.

There is room in the draft for us to propose all
the topics we think important.  So let's not
think about "battle lines" but wait for the call
for workshops, etc. We can respond to the draft
program outlines now (the summary of the MAG
meeting is six pages), and it would be good to
think about our response. A positive approach
will likely be more successful, and more
interesting (who enjoys volunteering to be
miserable...)

From the MAG summary:

"The final programme will be defined in light of
the proposals made for holding workshops and
best practice forums. In order to speed up
planning all interested stakeholders are invited
to submit proposals by 30 April. Preference will
be given to organizers who submitted a report of
events they staged in Rio de Janeiro."

If you held a workshop and haven't yet submitted
a report, please submit that report. 500-800
words isn't much to ask in return for a space on
the agenda of an important international meeting
(free). And these reports become part of the
unofficial proceedings of the IGF, so would be
pretty dumb to argue for the IGF to produce
outcomes and then not bother to contribute.

We have about 8 weeks to get proposals in.  Earlier the better.

I'm travelling until next weekend, probably won't be replying in much  detail.

Adam
     governance at lists.cpsr.org