[governance] Summary Report of IGF MAG available

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Sat Mar 1 05:07:46 EST 2008

>The most telling point here appears to be
>
>  >However, the group was informed that the
>current balance in the MAG, of 50% of its members
>  >proposed by governments and 50% by other
>stakeholder groups, would be maintained.
>

>Is there any way to challenge whether 50%
>government is really multistakeholder?

No.

Five regions, and within those five regions four
reps cover the traditional UN sub-groups, 5x4 =
20.  We were told 20 govt was the basic minimum
acceptable for govt to be able to advise the UN
SG (advising the SG being the purpose of the MAG
and the SG being the UN...) It wasn't negotiable,
so something we just accept.  No, not happy, but
wasn't possible to change.

If the MAG is above 40 then the proportion of "others" might increase.

Arguing about the number of other stakeholders
wouldn't have been productive (and could have
been very counter productive.) A number of people
noted members have connections to difference
stakeholder groups. Our best chance of increasing
the proportion CS members is to continue to argue
CS is under represented.

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org