[governance] Summary Report of IGF MAG available

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Sat Mar 1 05:05:22 EST 2008

>Hi,
>
>On MAG composition, Parminder¹s ³Not that things
>would have changed if we had said so² seems like
>an understatement.  Obviously there are
>pressures being brought to bear offline that
>significantly trump anything we might say, so
>stomping our feet rather than Œpussyfooting¹ by
>specifying exactly how many bodies from which
>groups we think there should be probably would
>have just been picking losing fights.  Saying CS
>is underrepresented was adequate for our main
>concern and obviously, rectifying it would mean
>taking from overrepresented groups.  That said,
>³While not perfect, the balance of the current
>MAG was felt to be reasonable.²  So voila.
>
>Robin says there are four Russian govt advisors.

They weren't really "advisers", just people in
the room.  They had no special status, they did
not speak (as chairs advisers are allowed to do.)

And it was challenged.  But it is very difficult
to tell govt to get out, particularly difficult
when the country is a permanent member of the
security council.

From now on MAG meetings will take a rollcall of
people in the room, I hope the rollcall will be
made public. This situation probably won't happen
again.

Thinks it's now under control...

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org