[governance] RE: IPv[4,6, 4/6] was IGF delhi format

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Mar 1 04:15:22 EST 2008

McTim

> It's a solution to a number of problems/issues with IPv4.
>
> Solving these problems required a different packet design. This meant
> that a v6 packet would not be able to be read by a v4 host natively
> (and vice versa).

Well, that the answer to my question. So, you do say that, within plausible
limits, there was no possible design for a v6 packet that could do all it
does now and still be read by v4 host and vice versa. Fine.

Though there is a connected issue (which was also my question) that if we
had kept this condition - that v6 packet JUST SHOULD BE ABLE to be read by
v4 host and vice versa - as an important, and lets say for argument's sake,
an incontrovertible condition, what all functionality of a v6 system will be
lost to us. If we knew this, then we can seek to do a political trade off
between the seamless-compatibility objective and these other objectives
which were simply not possible if we insisted on seamless compatibility.

I am sure this above formulation is no more complex than all the technical
specification formulations that you forward to me and I read them all, and
am not complaining :).

When you say

>>  Why there was no other proposal. Is it technically difficult or
impossible?

>You will have to read the history (IETF list archives).

And also

>>  > > Were these gains evaluated against the losses of
> > non-compatibility,  > > or non-seamless-compatibility.

>Probably, you will have to read the history of IETFs IPng (later renamed
>IPv6) WG, as I wasn't on that list when those choices were made.

You are pointing to me to the IETFs history docs on the crucial aspect of my
questions. But do we, (and you) as someone interested in tech governance
have no views at all on whether the v6 transition problem we are faced with,
which by all estimates is huge, could have been avoided by an alternative
design. Can we afford to not give any thought to this, and not have any view
on this.... Did you never think of investigating, and forming a view on
this.

The swarm wisdom of the IETF
> produced IPv6 long ago.  The spec is done, the WG is closed.  Their is
> an installed base, it can't/won't be changed.

That's not a sufficient response. We may not be able to change it. But we
need to understand under what conditions crucial decisions that impact all
of us are taken, and see how we can improve those conditions and processes.
That's all what constitutes discussing IG, and thats what we are here on
this list doing, as I understand it.

And about the 'IPng Criteria document [Kasten94]' that you have quoted, why
couldn't there be a specific criterion there that 'v6 packet should be able
to be read by v4 host and vice versa'.... it isn't there, any good reasons??

And when they put done this criterion
>    * transition - the IPng transition plan is simple and realistically
>      covers the transition methods that will be present in the
>      marketplace

>From what we know around us today, they obviously did not get it right.

I can think of one possible reason why they did not put in a
seamless-compatibility criterion (not saying that was their reason, but just
exploring the possible reasons bec I think we need to understand the
circumstance under which such an imp decision was taken). It could be that
if two protocols were perfectly compatible, there would not be enough
incentive among most users to shift to the new protocol. It will create two
layers of the Internet - those who can enjoy all the functionalities of the
much more superior v6 protocol and those who are struck with v4. Well, that
at its face would be a very good reason for IETF for doing what they did.
But this imperative needed to be discussed more widely, among circles
outside the IETF, and evaluated against the problems that a non-compatible
protocols based transition will cause and such....thats the kind of
tech-policy interface issue that, rightly, takes up most of our energies on
this list.

So, while I thank you for all the links you have sent (you have been as
engaging and through as ever) and I will use google as well, but as my email
describes above, the issue is not about a set of facts which have a clear
answer out there. If there were some such clear answer, someone on this list
would have told me that. And I havent got that answer.

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org