[governance] Fwd: IGC Membership list

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Sat Jun 28 17:09:20 EDT 2008

On 28 Jun 2008, at 10:43, William Drake wrote:

> especially since we don't
> even seem to have a list of people who subscribed to it then.

we do.  the coordinators of the caucus have the list of those who
voted in the charter vote and those who voted in the first election.
at least i think they do, i sent it to them in any case.

> Parminder is simply asking who considers themselves to be in the
> caucus. I can't fathom how that violates the charter.   And if we
> cannot bring ourselves to say who is in a group, I don't think we
> should pretend that the group exists.

there is nothing wrong with that.

what i believe is counter the charter is that he will only sending
ballots to those who respond to this message.

he could send out requests for people to sign the charter every month,
the charter says nothing about that - so he is free to do so whenever
he wishes in this respect - as long as his co-coordinator agrees.

what it does say is that a ballot goes to every individual on the list
- and it is at the point of voting that they need to declare that at
that moment they see themselves as supporting the charter.

i would argue that even having signed the charter before the vote,
does not obviate the need to indicate that by voting they are claiming
to support it.  i mean it is possible that someone signs it one day
because they  they support what they understand it to say and then the
next day find out it means something completely other then that and
find that they can no longer support it.  it could happen.

a.

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org