[governance] Fwd: IGC Membership list

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Jun 28 02:57:22 EDT 2008

McTim

> all one has to do is to
> ascertain they are a member and vote, if they click the little radio
> button that says "Yes" when asked to affirm membership of the IGC.  If
> they click "No", then they don't get to see the next screen (where one
> votes).  That's how I see it anyway

We will be doing email based voting rather than web based because more
members are comfortable to do so.. I did discuss the possibility, in my
discussion on this subject a few months back, of doing it more automatically
like you say. But I am unable to find that technical option, while doing it
with emails.

As for saying 'yes' to what you describe as affirming membership, I prefer a
more elaborate - "I have read the charter at .... and I am willing to
subscribe to it, and hence accept the membership of IGC". (Can you state
your problem with this description vis a vis a plain 'I affirm membership of
the IGC". Is there any real difference because of which we are getting into
this avoidable and endless debates)

That's exactly what I am doing. I don't have the technical option to do it
automatically if (1) is done to automatically go to (2), i.e. the ballot.
Therefore I am doing it manually.

If someone can give me a good technical option which will work in the
situation of this caucus's membership I will be happy. In fact I had asked
for such suggestions earlier... If you don't have such an option let me do
it manually in two steps as I am doing it.

In any case raising such methods issues, with no substantive implications,
when a process has already commenced is very disruptive, and should be
avoided.

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org