[governance] new paper on the Hyderaband [sic] programme

tvest at eyeconomics.com tvest at eyeconomics.com
Sun Jun 15 18:26:49 EDT 2008

ZTIjUauu
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

-----Original Message-----
From: "Parminder" <parminder at itforchange.net>

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 08:51:50
To:"'Milton L Mueller'" <mueller at syr.edu>,<governance at lists.cpsr.org>
Subject: RE: [governance] new paper on the Hyderaband [sic] programme

Milton

> Aha, "suspected" consensus (is this a new version of "declared
> consensus? ;-)) Hmmm, of the huge masses of 6 or 7 people who have
> addressed this issue, 3 or 4, including Ken and Adam, have agreed to
> abandon the U-word.

It was nothing to do with an IGC process or anything... but this was really the first time I had heard anyone at all speak clearly against universal service obligations as a policy position, and so said this to make a point about how hopelessly a position against USOs is in a minority in the civil society space that we discuss this issue.

>Hmmm, of the huge masses of 6 or 7 people who have
> addressed this issue, 3 or 4, including Ken and Adam, have agreed to
> abandon the U-word.

They spoke about ‘abandoning’ the 'universalization' term, and not universal access.  I have made the distinction in my last email. There is no point repeating the same thing. And I am very sure that both Ken and Adam strongly support universal access obligations/ funds.

> >[ MM asserts] that
> > universal service obligations, in some way or the other, are not
> required for universal
> > access.
>
> That's not what I said. What I said was that calling for universal
> access without an institutional framework to define it, deliver and
> enforce USOs, and without a price tag, is meaningless rhetoric, and that
> it risks being confused with retrograde policies.

Calling for markets to be left alone in the area of Internet access, without any public interventions, without understanding the complexities and diversities of the situations in developing countries is no less rhetorical. It is just hegemony of ideology that one position is made to sound like normal and natural, and the other unnatural, and abnormal, and therefore requiring special justifications. We wont give up progressive efforts in the South to mitigate risks on ‘policy confusion’ in the North.

Speaking about institutional frameworks to enforce, what framework do we have globally to enforce FoE, it is almost entirely subject to national jurisdictions, so why waste out time????

> I don't have time to go on. Economic decisions are all about incremental
> growth, budget constraints, efficiency and trade offs.

> But this is based on fallacious economic thinking and illustrates
> perfectly why I am resisting your rhetorical incursions into universal
> access policy.

You can sit in the US and say whatever. India is rolling out its Common Services Centres (1,00,000 of them) to reach connectively along with its paraphernalia to rural India. And most developing countries are developing some such programs.

I think you can just not see the Internet as an important social and development infrastructure, especially for developing countries, which therefore often require special ‘public’ support.  I know the issue is not about just Internet. You don’t see ‘development’ as anything else than a process where people and communities are freed from the state’s oppression, and then things just take off… Overwhelmingly, development in developing countries, as was in developed countries when they were developing, is seen as a process that require significant ‘public’ planning and support.  This difference of view is the real issue here, and we are fighting a proxy battle on ‘universal access to the internet’ issue.

I would willingly donate the entire US Iraq war budget to Indian
> telecom development

I am willing to receive it J. Thanks, while we work out the modalities.

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org