[governance] new paper on the Hyderaband [sic] programme

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Jun 14 12:54:22 EDT 2008

And this is not only in developing countries. Quoting Viviane Reding EU Commissioner for Information Society and Media below.

"In today's society, access to information by all citizens is a right as well as a condition for prosperity. It is neither morally acceptable nor economically sustainable to leave millions of people behind, unable to use Information and Communications Technologies to their advantage" said Viviane Reding EU Commissioner for Information Society and Media. "With today's initiative, the Commission reinforces its commitment to overcoming digital exclusion in Europe. Progress has been only half as fast as it should be. The Commission is sending today a clear signal to all parties concerned: industry, regulators and governments that we must act together now to ensure a barrier-free information society for all."

http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/07/1804&format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=en

By the way EU already uses the term "internet for all', it did so in one recent document. http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/06/769&format=PDF&aged=1&language=EN&guiLanguage=en

further quotes from an EU website..

"….hampered by market failures in rural and remote areas. In such cases, well-targeted state aid may therefore be appropriate, e.g. in the form of public private partnerships to support the construction of open networks. But we have to make sure that state aid does not crowd out private initiative, nor distort competition to an extent contrary to the common interest.”

“Where there are genuine market failures, the EU Structural Funds play a vital role in stimulating investments in broadband infrastructure and services, boosting competitiveness and innovation and enabling all regions of Europe to participate fully in the knowledge economy", added Commissioner Danuta Hübner, Commissioner responsible for Regional Policy.

"Mariann Fischer Boel, Commissioner for Agriculture and Rural Development, stressed: “Thanks to our new Rural Development policy, money is now being increasingly focused on creating new business opportunities in the countryside. There is a particularly strong concentration on broadband and information and communication technologies, where we already finance projects under our LEADER initiative – from the north of Scotland to the south of Spain. We now want to put them into the mainstream of our Rural Development programmes. The Rural Development fund is worth €70 billion between 2007-2013, with national funding on top. I urge Member States to tap the potential of broadband in their national Rural Development strategies.”
http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/06/340&format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=en

More than a bit strange that Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus seems to  be caught in two minds about this...

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org