[governance] new paper on the Hyderaband [sic] programme

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Fri Jun 13 03:31:54 EDT 2008

Parminder,

I wondered if this might come up, couple of days
ago on the MAG list asked Markus to clarify, his
answer:

At 12:40 PM +0200 6/12/08, Markus KUMMER wrote:
>The originally proposed workshops will not
>retain their identity, as they will be merged
>into a main session workshop.

So...

>  > If IGP chooses to help arrange the main session workshop, it will
>  > loose the ability to hold an independent session on the "Regional IP
>>  Address Registries: The New Epicenter of Global Internet Governance?"
>>  Can't do both, there isn't time, space etc.
>

>But the program doc doesn't say so...
>
>To quote "workshops will be overseen by the MAG and supported/facilitated by
>the IGF Secretariat. Workshop sponsors whose workshop proposals fit within
>the topics recommended by the MAG are invited to contact the IGF
>Secretariat, if they wish to have their workshop considered as Main Session
>Workshops. However, they should not be prevented from holding their separate
>workshop if they prefer, depending on the availability of meeting rooms."

I can see why you'd ask, but no, the answer is if
workshops merge then they cannot also hold a
separate workshop.  It makes sense, the point of
asking workshops to merge, whether for the main
sessions or just as a matter of course for all
proposals is to try and improve the quality and
reduce the number.  Strong comments following the
past two IGFs that the programme needs to be less
complex, workshops should not overlap so much etc.

For main session workshops, organizers will
benefit from being in the main room and larger
audience, also helping prepare the related
afternoon debate (how is not decided, but it will
happen to some degree by default), from having
full interpretation, webcast and remote access,
transcription.

Problem is people who have put a lot of effort
into workshop proposals will need to take a risk
that they will still be able to get their message
across when they merge in the main session. It's
the better prepared workshops that are the most
likely to be the best candidates to join the main
sessions so they would understandably be most
wary.

Hope this helps.

Adam
     governance at lists.cpsr.org