[governance] Please summarize the discussion

Jacqueline A. Morris jam at jacquelinemorris.com
Wed Jun 11 14:10:28 EDT 2008

Parminder wrote:

> Dear Bertrand, and others
>
> >As the causus coordinator, could you please, with the help of the main
> actors involved if necessary, summarize briefly the main positions and
> what is at stake here >? I'm a bit lost.
>
> I think the two emails written on the subject giving some key points
> of the discussions are quite useful to get a good sense it. I am
> enclosing these emails, and also cut-pasting below.
>
> To this I will add some more things, though I cant be sure how
> balanced it may look …. And I have had to do this under some time
> constraints.
>
> The main issue has been about whether some persons closely connected
> with bodies involved in Internet governance (ICANN, RIRs etc) can also
> be representing CS and IGC in the MAG (in the sense that CS/ IGC
> actually nominates them to represent it), for stakeholder-wise
> speaking slots at the IGF etc.

Actually, no - the main issue was whether the NomCom could have made the
decision without going back to the caucus according to the rules.
Everything stemmed from that. There was a lot of discussion on the
actual decision made, but the central issue remains - was the NomCom
overstepping its bounds to make the decision that it did - did it break
the Caucus rules and charter. And some discussion as to how to adjust
the rules so that future NomComs cannot break them.

Jacqueline

     governance at lists.cpsr.org