[governance] new paper on the Hyderaband [sic] programme

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Wed Jun 11 11:06:42 EDT 2008

At 10:22 AM -0400 6/11/08, Milton L Mueller wrote:
>I share some concerns with Vittorio here about the absence of the words
>"freedom" or "rights" from the agenda, although I am less concerned
>about the abandonment of the "U"-word.
>
>What I would like to know is whether there is a chance to change
>anything in this agenda or are we just letting off steam?

is a good question.  The paper is described as a rolling document
"and will be updated as appropriate."  I do not know if we can modify
it now, the themes in generally similar form have been available for
comment since the February meeting (which also made the call for
workshops) but as people feel strongly I would encourage sending
comments as soon as possible.  Send direct to the secretariat, they
are pretty good at making sure all comments appear in synthesis
papers, etc.

I understand the agenda has already been sent to the secretary
general so he can prepare an invitation to all stakeholders (as seems
to be the process, he still needs to convene the IGF) so I think too
late for that.  But changes will be made in September. The programme
has to be fleshed out, pages 10-15 of the paper describe the
programme to date, these of course have the be explained, they aren't
any use as a programme at the moment.

As Avri wrote yesterday, workshops that are related to the main
session themes can volunteer to join with the MAG and other similar
workshop organizers to help arrange the main sessions. These will
have a great impact on the programme.

For example, IGP proposed a workshop "Regional IP Address Registries:
The New Epicenter of Global Internet Governance?"  There will be a
session "Arrangement for Internet Governance".  IGP could volunteer
to merge its session with those of others who have proposed workshops
that are an equally good fit with the session theme to create a new
"main session workshop".  The volunteer workshop organizers and the
MAG will arrange this session, and I expect (though mechanics have
not been worked out) they will also be involved in the main session
debate (debate: really is hoped that it can be a debate and not a
stage full of panelists.)

There's also a session on IPv4/v6 which IGP might find more
attractive, but that's IGP's choice.

If IGP chooses to help arrange the main session workshop, it will
loose the ability to hold an independent session on the "Regional IP
Address Registries: The New Epicenter of Global Internet Governance?"
Can't do both, there isn't time, space etc.  Unfortunately, for some
sessions, there aren't many workshop proposals that are as good a fit
as the IGP example. But as proposals can be modified up to June 30,
there is time to do some tailoring.

BTW  -- I subscribe to the list so don't need to be cc'd!

Thanks,

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org