[governance] new paper on the Hyderaband [sic] programme

Lisa Horner lisa at global-partners.co.uk
Wed Jun 11 06:23:24 EDT 2008

I have to agree with Vittorio.  Lumping openness and privacy together
with security as a sub-theme under the banner of cyber-security and
trust doesn't leave much hope for productive discussion about how human
rights can be developed as foundational norms to underpin internet
governance.  I agreed that the main themes needed re-working, but the
end result has been that rights are still subsumed under the generalized
theme of openness, which in turn is framed as a trust and security
issue.

I suppose that, if these themes are retained, our job as advocates for
rights in internet governance is to ensure that each of the main panel
sessions considers how each theme is in fact a rights issue.  For
example, access and multilingualism are definitely rights issues, both
working from the starting point of the universal declaration and from
the starting point of 'development as freedom' (eg. enhancing rights and
capabilities is the foundation of 'development', and the internet is a
key means of achieving this).

Thanks,
Lisa