[governance] Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] OECD Civil society reference group & OECD 2008 Ministerial Meeting on the Future of the Internet Economy

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Mon Jun 9 04:28:01 EDT 2008

Dear Francis,

As Lisa already explained, information about "The Public Voice"
process has been sent long time ago, with invitation to join, to the
governance caucus list, and few exchanges have appeared on this list
too. This very large CS coalition holds monthly teleconferences
(using skype), that are open to anyone willing to join (info at:
http://thepublicvoice.org/events/pvwsismeetings/default.html. See
also: http://thepublicvoice.org/events/seoul08/
default.html#civil_society_documents).

In view of this very process (OECD Ministerial in Seoul), this large
coalition has prepared a background paper in a collaborative way and
through, inter alia, a wiki. You wil note that latest version of the
background paper is entitled:
"Recommendations and Contributions to the OECD Ministerial Meeting of
17-18 June 2008 from Civil Society Participants in the Public Voice
Coalition", thus not claiming to represent civil society as whole.
That, we agree, would in any case be meaningless.

Regarding the OECD CS Reference Group, it has been formed in view of
this very process, by organizations and people having a work history
with the OECD, to be the interface of the wide coalition.

By work history, I really mean that some of these groups are
following the OECD process for more than 10 years. I, for one, have
participated on behalf of my French organization to the 1998 OECD
Ministerial in Ottawa (http://gilc.org/events/ottawa98/agenda.html)
and have organized an event in Paris in 1999, both in the framework
of the Public Voice coalition and in conjunction with an OECD meeting
(http://www.iris.sgdg.org/actions/publicvoice99/).

Since its establishment in 1996, the Public Voice coalition has been
facilitated by EPIC (the Electronic Privacy Information Center). In
view of the 2008 OECD Ministerial, Katitza Rodriguez has been in
charge of this facilitator role on behalf of EPIC. My own name
appears as the other contact point for the CS-Labour Forum programme
since, as part of the OECD CS Reference Group, I've helped Katitza
with this.

In summary, the public voice coalition has been created a long time
ago, even well before the WSIS process, and has been aggregating many
new CS people and groups over time. It has always been open to those
willing to join (please contact Katitza Rodriguez: katitza at datos-
personales.org if this is your case). One might say that the public
voice coalition plays vis a vis the OECD the same role as this CS
plenary list vis a vis WSIS and WSIS follow-up processes. Some people/
groups are engaged in both processes, and some other just in one of
them.

I hope this answers your questions.

Best,
Meryem