[governance] nomcom's creteria

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Jun 8 06:48:23 EDT 2008

Everyone

What I am saying is that it is simplistic/ purposeless/ hypocritical to just
declare that the next nomcom should publish its criteria beforehand knowing
very well which exact point it will get stuck at... with the IGC not letting
its view on this particular point known... To repeat, my view remains that
the IGC made its view known in Feb. So either we affirm that the directions
on this are already clear (my view) or make these direction clear now.

If it is easier to understand that way ,just think of the nomcom we will
constitute in a few months for IGF speakers... will it or will it not write
down the criteria on persons closely related to Int gov institutions
(IGIs)??  They will be damned if they will - either way, there will be an
explosion of the same discussion which many feel either too uncomfortable or
well...whatever, to clearly close out right now - and damned if they don't,
because if any IGI person is either accepted or rejected it will be
questioned in the same way it is being now.... My view again is that this
level of criteria writing may not necessary... however the nomcom should
certainly have clear directions from the IGC on this issue. The present
nomcom took that such directions already exist.... if the group wants to
reopen the issue, then that's its prerogative to do so.

So what exactly are we solving by saying - well, next nomcom is instructed
to pre-publish its criterion.

Beyond this point of IGI reps which is the real issue of contention, we of
course should all resolve that all rules are followed, and take particular
note of issues like non-voting chair, and pre-publishing criteria. I am of
course ready to take all the responsibility that is mine in this regard, and
also so declare and resolve. As mentioned earlier both these issues have
specific contexts in this nomcom exercise which I will explain later. To
speak about these now will confuse the real issue being discussed.

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org