[governance] multistakeholding was Re: N & CoI

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Thu Jun 5 08:16:41 EDT 2008

Adam, you can participate in just about every of those technical community
groups - all the way from the IAB and IETF down to APNIC meetings (where I
have seen you around, so..)

In any process at all - and that's not at all limited to technical
communities - you need to have a sufficient amount of familiarity and
expertise with what is being discussed, if your ideas are to be given any
kind of credibility.

Add that to a community that in some cases doesn't suffer fools gladly and
is vocal about it, and you wouldn't be blamed too much for confusing it with
a closed process.

The nomcom has, unfortunately, elected to blanket ban all employees of
particular organizations.  What you are suggesting be followed is a case by
case, per person evaluation. I have no issues with that, especially as
candidates are supposed to declare conflicts of interest when putting their
names forward for election.

I will repeat that quite a few technical community groups have given a lot
more to the civsoc movement than you'd expect, and in key, critical areas of
ICT4D rather than mere wrangling about ICANN and RIR politics and wars on
control / oversight of these organizations, a concept which has dominated
the minds of this caucus for quite some time this year .. and the year
before, and the year before that [ad infinitum].

The converse, unfortunately, is just not true.  Traditional civsoc hasn't
contributed much beyond chaos and wrangling at the low end of the spectrum,
and policy and theory at the higher end. Implementation - that vital thing -
gets left to the technical community, or at least to those civsoc groups
(such as NSRC, say) that identify with and are fully part of the technical
community.

	srs

     governance at lists.cpsr.org